For the majority of young people in our community, the outdoors seems too far away, too unfamiliar, and too expensive to access; most of Twin Cities’ kids have never been on the river—or even in a boat. Our unique programs give urban youth a rare opportunity to create a personal connection with the outdoors and the Mississippi River through educational experiences on the river itself, right in the city.
Sometimes, we simply need to give kids a Ticket to Ride: funds for their program registration, paddle boat tickets, or simply bus fare to get to the river. Your donation to Ticket to Ride will help provide unforgettable experiences on the river for thousands of kids in our community this year.
Ticket to Ride provides scholarship funds for kids to participate in these park programs:
- Big River Journey: Paddle boat field trip through the heart of Saint Paul
- Journey to the Falls: Paddle boat field trip to St. Anthony Falls in Minneapolis
- Urban Wilderness Canoe Adventures: Voyageur canoe day trips that educate and empower youth
- Take Me to the River: Fishing club with park rangers that connects kids to the river, the park, and one another
- $10 pays bus fare for three kids to ride to the river for national park programs
- $25 provides a fishing pole, bait, and tackle for a child to fish with a ranger
- $50 sends a student on an Urban Wilderness Canoe Adventure on the Mississippi
- $100 buys tickets for an entire classroom to go on the Big River Journey program
- $500 charters three school buses for national park field trips
- $1,000 gives a dozen kids an overnight canoe and camping experience
“Without scholarship funding, [my students] would not have been able to afford this trip. Most of them are at poverty level…and had never been on a boat or near the river. This experience had a profound effect on these kids. Widening their world and minds is a gift that will give back in countless ways. I can’t thank you enough!” – Jan Nethercut, 5th Grade Teacher, Pratt Community School, Minneapolis